Monday, December 15, 2008

The translated version

Typed by Pom

It's been a little more than 24 hours since the story of the Iraqi journalist broke. I laughed incredibly hard the first time I saw it (ok, and the second, third, fourth etc. etc.) because I was practically giddy that someone had stood up against Bush. But when we see what the journalist's words actually were to W, and then the arrogance of W's own response I'm truly saddened. His oblivion and denial make me furious and I regret that nobody within this country stood up to him and removed him from office. Our political games in this country are a travesty - an absolute joke and while I have some hope for the future with a new president, I also have doubts that we will become that nation again that all of the citizens of the world can or would bother to be proud of.

It was never too late to have impeached Bush and Cheney and our elected officials failed us at every turn in this regard. An impeached official cannot be pardoned and now even if convicted of their wrong-doings, another elected official can pardon them because we are not protected as a people against this type of tyranny. We may have a constitution and a bill of rights in this country [sic] but until those we put in power are willing to uphold them they are of no value whatsoever. The democrats are no saints in this story. I loathe Nancy Pelosi and her "taking impeachment off of the table" line because she had absolutely NO right to do so. The voices of millions of Americans and people around the world were never heeded despite our effort - what are the implications of that in a "free" country? Who's listening? How free do you feel?

Shame shame shame shame shame.....

2 comments:

Hrafnkell Haraldsson said...

It's funny how pragmatism gets in the way of justice and how justice can be inconvenient. Congress didn't want a Constitutional Crisis. And the alternative is somehow better? If we don't have a Constitutional Crisis soon we may not have a Constitution to argue about. Great piece, Pom. Thanks!

Pom said...

We're in crisis whether they want to acknowledge it or not. Giving something a fancy title and then choosing to ignore it just because it hasn't hit whichever parameters they have defined doesn't mean that those things have no validity. I'm not a politician and therefore don't play their games on their terms but as a citizen of this country whether I like it or not.

Thanks for commenting. It's always nice to have ya pop by here too.