I have tried to sit down and write more times than I can count. I'm not talking about blog posts, but actual writing that will result in something resembling a book that will likely never be published. Blog posts are typically something I just throw together and post regardless of what they sound like (sorry about that). But when I get serious about writing, I do actually put thought into it and try to create something worth reading.
An idea struck me a few days ago and I proceeded to jot down a few notes. No outline or anything a real author might do. Nothing so formal as that. Then last night, when my husband, daughter, and her friend were all sleeping I stayed up and wrote. And wrote. And wrote. All told I think I have gotten the story up to about 4,000 words.
When I do write I don't do it in a linear fashion. My tales tend to be circular - more like life. I begin at some point and bounce back and forth. Not in flashback fashion but in a fill in style. I have no idea if this is the correct way to do it nor do I care. It's what has happened and who am I to challenge the muse?
I have no idea what I'll do with it when it's done. In fact, I have no idea if it will ever be completed as I'm notorious for not finishing what I start. But when the dam does break and the thoughts come it's a good idea to get them down before they disappear.
In other news, I created two bracelets and necklaces for a friend's granddaughters. I think I had mentioned them before. She "commissioned" them to be done which meant she intended to pay me for them. I made the requested necklaces, added bracelets to match, and then made velvet pouches to keep them in and sent them off to my friend so she could give them to the girls for their birthday. She was very happy with the results and gushed about them for days after receiving them. That was really enough for me but she continued to press me for a final bill. I had no idea what to charge because 1) I've never sold anything that I've made - I usually just give pieces away because I was inspired to make whatever it is for the individual and 2) How do you decide what to charge a friend? I hemmed and hawed for so long that she got tired of waiting and sent me a check. Now I knew what I'd invested in the pieces as far as cost of supplies and shipping and hoped to recover at least most of that but just couldn't bring myself to give her a dollar amount that I expected. I did have a range in mind and when the check arrived it was at the uppermost edge of that range. I was content with that but the note that she included (which I read first) meant more to me than the check. Here's a snippet of what she wrote.....
"My dear friend, I know you know how much your friendship means to me so I won't babble on. But I will tell you what an amazing artist you are and how grateful I am that you created something so beautiful for two equally beautiful little girls. Some say art is priceless and it is but the artist must live so there must be a price. Take this with the full measure of my gratitude and love."
I want to cry just re-reading that. It means a lot to have something I've done appreciated so greatly especially when it comes from my creative side. I don't know if I could sell things on a regular basis but it was an encouraging experience to say the least.
Here's to more creative endeavors - wherever they may lead.
The Trash Heap has spoken.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
kudos for your awesome friend.
I havethe same issue, and it's one reason I never went into business for myself. What I love to do, I'd do for free, which means I'd starve most likely. Work, doesn't feel so inspired, so I don't mind asking for a paycheck. interesting, eh?
i've been writing and rewriting a book for years...but have to wait for a few more people to croak so i dont have to worry about law suits..
friends......dontcha love em?
Maebius, Exactly!
Jac, Very much so.
The really interesting thing (to me anyway) was that I realized something about myself when reading that card. I never get compliments unless it pertains to someone else. They are never based on myself alone. I think that's why it touched me the way it did. It was about me - not my husband, my daughter, etc. etc.
Post a Comment