I missed "Friday Flicks" last week due to the holiday. Hope nobody was too disappointed. In an effort to make up for this, I'm going to offer up the Monday Matinee. And in honor of the holiday weekend that was cause of the delay I'll even cover an American made movie - written, directed, and acted by the same American. It's probably one that you know...
Sling Blade - 1996 - Written by, acted in, and directed by - Billy Bob Thornton
An unexpectedly tender film writhing with undercurrents and shocking backstories. Sling Blade is the perfect example of what can be created despite a small budget if one has passion, an original idea, and good friends. Billy Bob Thornton went above and beyond in casting his film, tapping the unknown talent as well as disguising the well-known so their presence would not interfere with the tale he had to tell. The brilliance of his casting choices cannot be overstated because it is truly the script and the acting that make this movie great.
The story begins with the release of Karl Childers (Thornton) from the "nervous hospital" where he'd been living since killing his own mother and her lover at the age of 12. Now, many years later, the mentally challenged and ill-equipped adult Karl must make his way in the world as a free man having served his time for his childhood crime.
As challenging as this may seem, and certainly is for him, the real challenge comes when Karl meets a new friend in the form of young boy Frank (played by the incredible Lucas Black) and Karl's ideas of right and wrong are tested to their limits. Karl becomes woven into the lives of Frank and Frank's mother as well as her abusive boyfriend, Doyle (surprisingly well played by Dwight Yoakam), and her closest friend, Vaughan (the well disguised and much missed John Ritter).
If you haven't seen it yet, please do. If you've already seen it, it may be time to watch it again. Blow the dust off of your copy or hunt it down at the vid store. The copy I have is loaded to the brim with an extra disc of special features containing hours of interviews and behind the scenes information that I really enjoy. Billy Bob Thornton is phenomenally talented and the anti-Hollywood actor of the century. While I may dislike some of the things he's done, I cannot argue that he is incredibly talented and passionate about what he does - and he knows how to get it done.
Now hopefully this week I'll be back on track and Friday Flicks will be posted as it should.
The Trash Heap has spoken.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
i loved this movie..and thought billy bob was excellent in it in all of his phases..and the supporting cast was probably one of the best in any movie ever..great movie..
Post a Comment