In the inomnia induced stupor I was in the night before this last, I did actually forget that occasionally people do read this garbage that I write. Of course I imagine that they would get just a couple of lines in and then quickly find a better way to spend their time. Reading my entries is a good 15 minutes of your life that you can never get back!
It's not that I don't mean well or that my heart isn't in the right place. I just don't have the best way of stating things that will actually make a difference. I'm typically just spouting off - not attempting to write great philosophical pieces that will change the course of "civilization" forever. I lack eloquence and subtlety and those seem to be necessary traits to affect change. Throw in fatigue and exasperation and it becomes an ugly thing that likely takes years off of your life. Perhaps my blog should have a warning from the Surgeon General too!
I'm not even apologizing for the content of what I wrote. Just the fact that it's crap. Of course anyone that might read anything I write more than once can figure that out.
And in other news.....
After speaking to my mother for the first time since June, I learned that she voted for McCain. The saddest part about that is I could have changed her mind had I known what her issues were with Obama. She wasn't actually voting for McCain. As many people do, she was voting against "That One". After talking about things for awhile, I can't for the life of me figure out why she has issues with Obama at all. In fact if she'd done any sort of genuine research on the man she would have learned that he wanted to bring about change (as well as protect those things important to her). Instead I fear she relied on forwards received in email to educate herself. And if you're wondering - YES I heard that same voice in my head as I was listening to her talk about how Obama "can't be trusted". Is she prejudiced? Yes. But she was willing to listen to what I had to say about it and as a result became more informed than she'd been on Election Day. I just wish I'd known - not to change her mind but to give her the information she said she didn't have. Her vote is her business, but when it's based out of fear (like so many votes were) then there's nothing authentic about it - it's a shackled vote and that's not good representation of a free people.
Her mother (my grandmother) on the other hand, voted for Obama. She's one of those life-long Democrats that throws the "N Bomb" around which I find disgusting, but she still voted the way she always has and didn't let her prejudice stop her. I guess she listened closely to his message and it was on the mark for her and her blindness made it easier just to listen to him.
I think that by the end of the election Obama's perceived demographic had to have been blown all to hell. Both of my grandmothers voted for him. My mother in law voted for him. I voted for him. We're all outside of that demographic.
Another thing that I found bizarre in talking to my mother is that she's replused by Michelle Obama. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around that one. I think Michelle is everything I hope my own daughter would aspire to be - strong, brilliant, dedicated, devoted, beautiful. Why women have been so quick to come out against her is beyond me.
I look forward to having a loving family in the White House and watching their beautiful little girls grow up. I know they've had an incredible example in their mother and I wonder at all of the potential and promise they have in front of them. And that promise doesn't stop there because finally I feel again as though we all have some promise and potential - I don't feel that we're all sandbagged anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment