Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sleep = Bliss

Typed by Pom

Alternative title: Insomnia and blogging do not mix!

When seeking coherent articulate subject matter, sleep is a necessary ingredient. I'm not even going to attempt reading the previous post and I hope nobody else does for the sake of their minds. Not that anything I write here is stellar, but the previous post was written on no sleep at all and the thoughts are unintelligible to say the least. Not that today's will be exciting by any means but at least now I'm rested! I've now gotten about 9 hours of sleep after having been up for about 34 hours straight (because I'm an idiot).

And on to other news.

Yesterday was shopping day. We did the grocery shopping on Friday night so as to free up Saturday to find clothes for me. I don't need a great deal of clothes as I seldom go anywhere but twice a year I usually get two outfits (usually more with the "mix and match" theory) to sustain me through the cold/warm season we are headed into. I'm sorta like Jo Frost of SuperNanny fame in that regard. Yesterday's booty includes 3 tops, 2 pair of pants, and 2 pair of shoes that were on clearance - ugly-ish but comfortable courtesy of gel-arch support inserts. Hubby also got 3 new shirts, a baseball cap (constant staple in his wardrobe), and a toy (a la Transformers - Bumblebee). I'm more excited about the stuff we got for him (sans toy) than for myself as I'm not really into clothes much these days. I use them to cover up and that's about it. Fashion is not at the top of my priority list and it shows. I just needed something to supplement my "wardrobe" that was a bit more "girly" than my usual apparel - hubby's hand-me-downs.

The plan was also to find a bra. Ha! Bra shopping is the worst unless you're an early-20 something with no previous childbirthing experiences, no chronic illness, and a body "to-die-for"! I've reached that point in life where bras are strictly utilitarian in purpose and necessary so they resemble something more like armor than the sexy things seen on ______ (insert celebrity model's name here). I gave it a go and after wrestling (literally), twisting, rolling, mashing, squishing, and cussing under my breath, I walked away empty handed. Finding a good fit with ample support is virtually impossible on a good day. Throw in no sleep, hot flashes, and body aches and it's a torture I dare not explain entirely to you. Ideally I'd live with sports bras all of the time despite the fact that they give off the less flattering look of "uni-boob". They're comfortable and that's important.

At least I don't have to attempt any personal shopping now for the next 6-ish months assuming that no event comes up for which I'm ill-prepared (which is any event where sports bras and hubby's hand-me-downs are inappropriate attire).

After getting back home I crawled promptly into bed. I was trying desperately to stay awake until at least 8 p.m. so I would sleep through the night. Hubby proceeded to purge his closet creating two piles - charity and cleaning rags. Of course that was after he'd turned 'Bumblebee' into a robot and then back into the Camaro (a difficult task apparently when the toy is actually made for 5 year olds and therefore took about 45 minutes to complete). Mini Me came home from work with a friend who'd been dropped off unbeknownst to any of us (and in my state of fatigue I didn't care though normally we appreciate a "heads up" on these things) and the girls wanted to have a sleep over at the friend's house. Once Mini Me did a small bit of chores, Hubby drove them to the friend's house and came back to prepare fried egg sandwiches for our dinner in lieu of the fried chicken we'd planned earlier but now didn't have the appetites nor energy to make/eat. I then took to nodding off against Hubby's chest so he got me ready for bed because in my borderline comatose state I couldn't do it for myself. I took two Advil PM to insure sleep for several hours and at 8:30 dropped off into blissful desperately needed sleep.

And that's that. Now I'm up early enough today to assume that I'll get to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight and hopefully shift my sleep schedule to something a bit more like that of "normal" people. Of course I'm an insomniac and therefore nothing can be guaranteed.

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

try naps..naps are good..
my idea of dressing up is finding a tshirt that does't have stains on it

Pom said...

Yep, I can relate. Of course when the wardrobe serves two, what wasn't stained last time might have a stain now because one or the other of us ended up staining it the last time we wore it unbeknownst to the other! And if that sentence made any sense whatsoever you're a genius! lol